Friday, November 5, 2010

Kids or media –which one would you prefer?

When it comes to handling, I would definitely prefer the later. Why?
Here I am managing media at an event. Event is one of the largest kids’ competitions, with over 80,000 students. Media is yet to arrive so I don’t have anything but to observe these children, most of whom have grown too old for their age. Or may be it is the generation gap which has made me believe so (God I feel old).

One girl, expert in seducing tricks from such a young age (will definitely be helpful in near future). She stopped the guy, asked for help and gave a close-up smile- perfect!! And here is this guy, totally smitten by her CHARM (probably, he is imagining himself as one of those heroes of Karan Johar movies), more than eager to help her. So he gave her his bottle of Horlicks with all sincerity. Yes, this was the help. She asked him for Horlicks! (I guess, in spite of their efforts and almost perfect copying, they still need to grow up).

Second scene is of two ladies, most probably teachers, empathizing with children - “bacche on the spot kya think karenge”. They forgot the competition is all about thinking on the “spot” though!

Total contrast to these over empathetic teachers, is another zombie one- kids came to inform that they scored 3rd position in singing competition and she very interestingly said- Hmm!!

Sitting and observing is not the only thing you do at an event like this. You are also supposed to entertain all kinds of questions (these are small kids, how can you be rude to them is the reaction you will attract otherwise). What is media? What is press release? Why are you carrying it with you? Can I see the folders? Can I take one? Can I take one more for my mother? These are just few, you are bombarded with many of the same kind.

There are also few “older guys”- 14-16 years old- dying to grow old. These are the “confident ones” who come in style and stand in front of you. And then ask whether you are on facebook or not, pretending to be very casual and as if the best thing in this world is to be on “FACEBOOK”.

And this is not the even the end, the list goes on…but in spite of all these, their innocence, their smile, their curiosity to know about you and your work is worth all the trouble.
Hmm…I might reconsider my first choice now…

2 comments:

  1. WOW. Too good. In fact I am so happy that you wrote this. Coz recently I too had gone through an almost-similar event that made me want to quit the job right then. I fell sick after handling children(!), puked for an entire evening and took complete rest the next day, off from work! God, children, especially this school-going-kids, are horrible. I really wonder what they are upto! But as an after thought i guess i want to kill not children but teachers. Anyway thank you for the post. I for publishing my angry comment. I know you will publish :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @gayathri: ha ha..most welcome :)...but kids are not at fault..its the treatment and the response they get from their elders which make them so over confident and full of themselves!!

    ReplyDelete