Sunday, May 15, 2011

Pasighat -This is how I grew up..

Childhood… my father’s recent visit brought back childhood memories. Spending time with him reminded me of those days which though not forgotten, have been burried somewhere inside my heart.

Apart from trucks loaded with personnel from Indian army occasionally going towards China border or fear of flood now and then or looking at the bunkers with army jawans on Assam borders and wondering what they are doing in the middle of the market, my childhood has been very ordinary and just like any other kid.

Having spent my childhood in Arunachal Pradesh and most part of it in a small district called Pasighat, my memories are full of my interactions with nature and its creatures!

Many a times, I used to come across weird looking insects, amazing birds or exotic wild flowers names of which I am still not aware of ! Out of them all, I used to come across snakes lot more often, especially in my dad’s garden. And so, I became more interested in then rather than being scared of them. Probably also because of my father who tries to not hurt any living creature (yes…not even an ant…thats how kind my Dad is…believe it). He would just stand and let the snake go wherever he wants to!

With time, I grew more and more interested in their lives. Once I (was in 4thor 5th standard) saw a snake crossing my way while I was on my way to school. I was quite thrilled as it was a “baby snake”. So I decided to follow that creature and see where he lives! But unfortunately, that ‘baby snake’ of mine decided to go inside some bushes rather than to his home and I had to come back disappointed! I remember, once me and my dad even tried taking picture of a black snake sitting beautifully on one of the branches of a tree outside our veranda. But again unfortunately by the time I came with the camera, he left, must be for his home I thought then!

Memories of going to Siang River (Bhramaputra) which was just 10 minutes away are still fresh in mind. Collecting pebbles and small pieces of wood lying by the side of river, used to be our favorite pass time.

Quite lucky I was to have a comparatively bigger house with trees of mango, jack-fruit and neem in the courtyard. Having a bigger house meant having more space to play. So it used be our playground during lunch breaks. Most common of all, was the game of “bhaga-bhagi” where we use to run and catch each other. Our lunch time used to extremely hectic as we had to finish eating (which never used to very important as for that we had the option of during classes- it is an art in itself… isn't it?) and yes then taking turns on the swing which my father had put on the mango tree and then playing in the water if it’s a rainy season. Rains are quite often in that part of the country, so it used to be hardly a reason to stop us from playing or running around. Drenched in water, we used sit in classes with our wet socks and sweaters drying on the top of our desks. Teachers were quite cooperative too, used to leave us with just a dry smile!

So this is how I have grown- looking at the mountains covered with snow in winters or with dense forests in summers, waking up with gentle strokes of breeze, going for tutions at 5 in morning with sun shining beautifully above you. Beautiful are the days of my childhood which still bring a smile on my face.

10 comments:

  1. I loved reading this. You write very well - clean, fresh, easy style. Write more. Keep Blogging.
    All the Best
    Vikram

    ReplyDelete
  2. quite a serene place you have lived in, beautifully written

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! u have been so lucky. most of my childhood was an urban jungle-smoke and mirrors. u were blessed to have such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vikram Karve: Thanks a lot Vikram.. thats very motivating :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sai Kumar: Thanka Sai..yes Arunachal Pradesh is extremely beautiful..worth visiting too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @confusedyuppie: Thanks..it was quite amazing living amidst nature and now that I have been staying in cities, I can totally understand what you are saying..

    ReplyDelete
  7. i loved the write up, its very simple, though very descriptive n fresh.....

    ReplyDelete