Thursday, October 6, 2011

That black robe…

In half mind to attend, I finally went for my convocation, mainly because of my friend’s and family’s insistence. Standing in the queue to get the robe, walking half a kilometer to reach the venue…wasn’t a good start I must say. But the moment I wore that black robe and hat, I felt as a different person all together. Those two years which I can surely call as the one of the most important phases of my life flashed back in my mind. I realized how much has changed in these 3 years.

My decision to join HCU (as we call University of Hyderabad) was also on the spot (like any other important decisions of my life!). My decision to leave my first job and the day I had put my paper down, my decision to not go back to second job, my selection of college for graduation just because I was irritated with other one, these instances are many. It is not that I don’t think before taking any step. In fact I think A LOT, mostly after wards! I just happen to always do exactly opposite of what I have planning for months and thankfully these experiences, not always good, have taught me a lot.

So, my decision to join HCU was kind of similar. I had told my sister, who was accompanying me for the counseling that I wouldn’t take the Ad and PR seat if offered. I went upstairs thinking of rejecting the seat and accepting only if in case they offer some stream. They offered Ad and PR and just for the sake of it, I said yes. I came down and told my sister that I will see for one year and if I don’t like I will try for a better university (what was I thinking? Better university than HCU!). And thankfully I didn’t leave the course or the campus which made me what I am today.

On the day of my convocation, looking at my fellow classmates, being with few close friends, listening to my favorite professor after one year, I was reminded of each and every moment I had spent in that heavenly campus. Experiences I had there, bitter and sweet, worst and the best, changed me to a large extent. I grew as an individual in those two years. Not just courses, sheer living there taught me a lot.
My perspective on life, relationships, responsibilities and work, almost everything has been influenced by the experience I had there. I don’t know if this change is for good or bad. I just know I am happy with the change and can’t thank those two years enough for this. I also know this change is constant. In last one year, as a working professional, in three different jobs, I have changed again. However, few things which HCU gave me have been imbibed so deep that I don’t think any change can change them.

11 comments:

  1. Darn! I never got to wear the fancy robe, I did not attend the convo :'(

    And I am sure this change is good for you... Keep the faith...

    #_#
    1955-2011

    ReplyDelete
  2. all robes different in color signify change. I wonder what is it with the change and the robe!!(though its irrelevant to change) deadly combination..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! This is a very engagin memoir...will keep coming back :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Chintan Gupta: wearing robe is a different feeling...I can't say if the change is good or bad for me..but yes there is a change!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Pyschepower: for me the robe symbolised those two years I spent in HCU..so thats the connection between robe and the change :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now you make me want to attend my convocation. I was planning not to. November 4th. Happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Zeba: Please do..its an experience worth experiencing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You actually thought of not attending the convo? I can't believe you lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Fatte: Yes..i did plan to not attend my convo..I was of the opnion that wearing a robe is no big deal..if I will do another MA..i will get to wear again..so whts the fuss about! But yes I admit I was wrong..it is worth taking a day off and wearing that robe!

    ReplyDelete