Friday, October 14, 2011

They live big in small towns…

I have grown up in a small town of Arunachal Pradesh Pasighat without the luxuries of modern world. I and my siblings have studied in lamp right as there used to be days without electricity. The life there is entirely different form the life I have been leading for past 6-7 years now. Last vacation, I went to visit my father who has been posted to Likabali, a small town on Assam- Arunachal border.

We are so used to living with all kinds of facilities and connectivity that it becomes difficult to imagine one’s life without internet and basic amenities. Isn’t it? The first day in Likabali was full of surprises. I got to know many important aspects of the life over there. My first shock was when my mom told me that there is no cable connection in the entire place. Residents have to arrange for DTH or TATA Sky if they wish to use television which can be done through the only electronic shop available in Selapathar town of Assam! It was also amusing to see how technology has connected people even in interiors.

Selapathar is the only source of connectivity for the people over here. If you need to mobile recharge or need to book tickets for traveling, you have to go to Assam to do it! But people have no complains. In fact they are enjoying their slow and easy-going life. There is no-brand consciousness, no materialistic competitions between neighbors. Jealous doesn’t seem to exit here.

Entire town or village (I am actually confused what to call it!), is like a family, where everyone knows each other. Your neighbors are your family. They will be with you even in the smallest of happiness and trouble. You cough and they will be in front of you to serve you. You come after marrying your daughter and entire town comes to congratulate you. If you go to visit your family, you automatically becomes everyone’s guest. They will shower unconditional love and will do their best to please you. They will come and ask you simplest and most stupid questions but with honest desire to know. They will be truly surprised to know that you can work on computers and can use internet!! They will amuse you, entertain you and help you in whichever way they can. This is the life over there. Slightly different from our usual selfish and self-centered world.

21 comments:

  1. true .. I miss that life a lot its like a part of me actually wishes to live that life again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Prachi: Yes..those were best days of our lives..Isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Richa : Yes truly those were the best.. Although we didnt have.. any of these modern amenities.. still days were great.. strange haan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of Thomas Grays's poem. Here is a small para from it
    "Let not Ambition mock their useful toil,
    Their homely joys, and destiny obscure;
    Nor Grandeur hear with a disdainful smile
    The short and simple annals of the poor.

    The boast of heraldry, the pomp of pow'r,
    And all that beauty, all that wealth e'er gave,
    Awaits alike th' inevitable hour:
    The paths of glory lead but to the grave."

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was really interesting!... To know, that such places still exist!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Arun John: Beautiful words..wish we all could live our life in this way..

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ The Meditating Lion: Thanks :) yes places like do exist even now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what is 'basic' to living seems far off frm these 'basic amenities'!!:) I think still such places are aplenty on this earth, but a few of us seem interested in letting them be... since the "Globalized world" keeps us more interested than the whole world!! And sadly our 'modernity' rests in peace(RIP) with modern amenities,still struggling to be truly modern. nice account about Likabali:):) btw come to me for classes for diff b/w town n village:P

    ReplyDelete
  9. @pychepower: thanks..I will definitely come for classes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, thts really beautiful Richa :)

    Bice to knw tht u're likin der .. my hometown is also somewhat similar.. a place called Kottayam in Kerala.. sumhow, I found tht I really can't do without the net, TV n chilled beer :)

    But I agree wid u tht these places're so very lovely n yup, the ppl r so genuine, honest n innocent :)

    Gud read, Richa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ R-A-J: hey thanks a lot :) yeah that's true..people are much better there but now we are so used to comfort even I can't imagine myself being without internet and my laptop!

    ReplyDelete
  12. well myself being from a small town of Assam...I cud feel everythng u said...nice post...

    http://ideas-forum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Soumyadeep: thanks a lot..thanks for the links as well..would love to read your write ups :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also miss small joys of the small town that Pasighat had... but to be very frank, I'm not much a fan of Pasighat.
    In fact if ask any non-native boy who has lived in Pasighat, he would hate the place. For me, Pasighat stands more for the bitterness than those small joys...

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Fatte: About Pasighat I agree with you. It wasn't very easy to be a non-resident there. But here I am talking about those small villages of Arunachal where people are still innocent and warm :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have also spent many days in a small town of bihar, and in small towns or villages i have also seen that almost all the people know each other.
    Its something you don't find in the cities where even your neighbour might not know you(i don't know the name of one of my neighbour)

    -BWsketches

    ReplyDelete
  17. @bwsketches: thanks a lot for stopping by..betwn so true..even I don't know my neighbours name or anything about them for that matter :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. :) Richa, I think they still have humans back in the village while we have turned in to money making machines. Not having cable might as well be a blessing in disguise ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ TheBluntBlogger: so true..yeah being away from the boambarding of social media is nothing less than a blessing..infact I do miss that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's always fascinating to dive into an unexplored world and see what we discover. And India probably offers the most diversity we can ever wish to encounter.

    Well written. Crisp and informative

    ReplyDelete